Friday, August 20, 2010

Help me break up with a friend!?

I am totally lost on what to do, so I am turning to this ';community'; for some advice. I have a friend who I have known for 8 years (we are in our 30s), but I no longer have any interest in keeping the friendship up--for many different reasons that would take me too long to explain.


I am not the kind of person who could just tell her what is going on, why I don't want to talk to her anymore, etc. because I don't want to hurt her feelings--she is extremely sensitive and takes everything very hard. I know that if I said anything negative to her at all, it would be discussed with her husband for months to come and she would obsess over it, so I have to be very careful about what I say and how I say it.


I should also mention that she only has 2 friends, myself and a neighbor of hers (no joke) and I know that it would completely devastate her if I dropped her with no explanation. I don't know if she knows how fed up I am with her.


Any ideas on how to accomplish this?Help me break up with a friend!?
its always hard to to end a fading friendship. i know exactly what you mean. sometimes one thing leads to another and you find yourself completely fed up with a friend and at that point it is time to end the friendship because if you don't its going to put a strain on your life and it just adds extra stress that you just don't need. i would suggest confronting her as hard as it may be. i would just say we've been through a lot and having you as a friend was an amazing part of my life and i would never regret that but i feel like soem things have happened that you and i both know and things just arent the same. i just feel like at this point in my life i can't handle this type of friendship. i think i honestly just need some space because a lot of things are going on in my life right now. Although i feel as though it would be better if we werent friends for a while, i just want you to know that if you ever truly need me im only a phone call away. thanks for everything and i definately dont want to upset you. i know you will make a great best friend to someone else and if you branch out good things will come to you.





i know this is hard but i wish the best of luck to you!Help me break up with a friend!?
Well, in this situation i think it is best to let her know what's going on. It's sort of rude to just not say anything and pretty inevitable that she'll come back because she's a good friend. I understand that she is sensitive. but if you have something to talk about with her it is best to do it up front. i'm not saying she'll take it fine, she might even take it badly. but the point is that you got your point out and she has a chance to either understand or just ignore it and wallow in self pity. She might need some cool off time when you are done talking to her but ultimately, you'll be doing something good for her. people sometimes need a reality check and if she gets one from time to time she'll become a better friend. it might be something she could think about and change.
i am sorry but life is hectic and i just do not have the time to be with you as friends any longer i dont mean to hurt you please no hard feelings
first u should think about ur frnd and then of your heart don't hurt any loving ones if she is very sensitive than you should be very care full.but you have to say yours fillings but how that's depends on you.OK
Maybe the only thing you can do is just slowly distance yourself from her. Stop taking her calls, don't call her, make excuses why you can't get together.....It might take a while, but I don't know what else you could do that would spare her feelings.
Oh My! this is interesting because I'm going through the exact same thing, i have a friend that I've simply outgrown. In the beginning of our relationship it seemed that we had a lot in common, but as time progressed I was proven wrong. the way I broke apart from this clingy friend without too much controversy is i told her that i was unfulfilled and needed to find myself, which required A LOT of time to myself, not too much going out and not too much phone conversation. This works! I understand shes sensitive so dont cut her off at once--wing her off. Trust me, it works.
Kat! I am that girl you are talking about!! I can't believe u would write about me like this =[ i thought we were friends!!!!
Tell her husband. Let him know that since you are all grown up and married now that circumstances have changes. Tell him that you no longer have time to maintain a friendship with him and his wife because marriage has put a gap between the friendship you had when you were single. You want to devote your time to you family and don't see where your future plans have room for them in it any more. If he doesn't understand then just it go. You really do not need to give them any more of an explanation than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment